One thing I have yet to see, on TV or the Internet or any other form of media, is what a person should do after a divorce; what steps should a man or woman take to emotionally recover and get their lives back on track? I am prodding some of my divorcee friends to contribute to this series of articles, In Sha Allah we'll get something rolling. But one thing I can share is a website I found while trying to help out a recently divorced friend: http://www.just4dads.org/legal-custody.html. It outlines what the US courts are going to look for when trying to determine who gets custody of the children when a divorce occurs. According to the article, the courts will try to determine who is the child's primary care giver, using the following criteria:
- Who puts the child to bed at night?
- Who is there when the child gets up in the morning?
- Who helps the child get ready for their day (bathing, clothing, grooming, etc.)?
- Who takes the child to the doctor?
- Who plans the child’s activities?